Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Skinny and Neurotic

Remember this post? Well, that friend who doesn't bake was my same weight and size 18 months ago. She had a little boy a few months after Bea was born and we often commiserated about losing the weight and getting back in shape. I'm still talking about it, but she has lost almost 40 lbs. and 4 pant sizes. She looks awesome.
I have been exercising consistently all this time and though I feel healthy and strong, I have not been successful in losing weight. Last weekend, I found myself scanning the internet for 'miracle cures' that would help me shed the pounds. As I debated about where and how to spend my money (gym membership? appetite suppressants? herbal cleanse?), I realized that I haven't really and truly tried the thing I know I should: eating less. (It's a painfully simple math problem...)

So starting March 1, no desserts until my birthday near the end of the month. I'm 2.5 days into it and so far, so good. I know it sounds ridiculous, but this is actually a huge milestone for me!! Cutting back on sugar doesn't seem to work for me, so I'm going to try cutting it out and see what happens. I figure 3 weeks should be enough time to tell if it's working or not.

I know this is boring to everyone else (sorry), but I now understand why people who lose weight seem to talk about it a lot---it has to be on your mind ALL THE TIME. Counting calories is boring and makes me feel neurotic, but feeling overweight all the time was making me sad too, so I'm going for the healthy weight/well-adjusted psyche approach. I'll get back to you on it.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I am in the same boat. I find that if I try to limit myself I just eat more. I looked up all the "no calorie" foods - all the calories are burned comsuming/digesting these foods. So I stocked up on these foods and I am not so much restricting my quantity but selecting better foods. The decrease in quantity will come next. If I take on too many changes at once I am bound to fail. Good luck!! What a great birthday present to yourself!!

Mariposa said...

i am secretly wishing for a body bug--they help track your caloric intake and output so you can know how much less you need to eat and how much more you need to burn to start losing weight. It has to be overwhelming tracking calories esp. when so many items are made from scratch, but it would probably surprise me when i saw that my caloric intake was 4000 and my output was 400. yikes!

Jess said...

I am an all or nothing type of person. Either I get to have candy and sweets and such or nothing at all. Moderation is hard for me so good luck on the sweets thing. Not looking forward to having to cut back on my eating after the baby is born (although that is the only thing I'm not looking forward to about the baby coming!)

Maggie said...

LOL. When I saw that Mary was wishing for a body bug I was thinking that she wanted a parasite (hey, that could work too. maybe you should spend your money on a trip to a third world country). I need to call you tomorrow. maybe I'll join you. I am proud of you though for being so consistent with your exercising.

Emily said...

Florence! I made the same goal to be ended on my (our) birthday as well. What shall we eat when we break our sugar fast? I vote for a whole jar of nutella, which Dan unfeelingly purchased the day I went off sugar.