Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Gift of an Ordinary Day

When I recently wrote about "Mitten Strings for God" by Katrina Kenison, I found out she has a new book called, "The Gift of an Ordinary Day". Her first book was about learning to slow down and simplify life with small children. Now she has two teenage boys who are preparing to leave home and she talks about learning to let go and to appreciate all those "lasts" and the longing mothers feel for that old busy life when your children needed you so much.
I couldn't put it down and it made me both grateful that I still have a few years left and sad for what's to come. Kenison talks about sitting down across the table from her teenage son and realizing that she has absolutely no idea what he is thinking, when she used to be able to read him like a book.
Welcome to my world. Maddie turns 13 tomorrow and is in the full throes of hormonal mood swings, but she also makes us proud with her steadiness and good choices. Bea is coming up on 3 and is constantly testing her independence and our patience. But she also has such a sweet funny little voice and engaging personality that it's impossible to stay mad for long.
Today was just a busy, regular day--helping at the school, a dr. appointment, putting laundry away--but Bea wasn't feeling well and I got in some good snuggles with her and we played Polly Pockets for a while. With 4 daughters, I've played a lot of Pollys and Barbies in my life. I hate it, really. But today I tried to remember that one day I will long for a sunny hour playing with my 2 year old, while she laughs and chatters to me.
Straddling this age gap with our kids (from teenager to toddler) is taking unexpected amounts of energy, ingenuity, and prayer.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Another great book recommendation...THANKS! I love your Wednesday blogs. I love feeling like a fly on the wall :)

agarlitz said...

Yesterday Elle (15) was holding Landan (2 months)and I hugged them both at the same time and said I love you from oldest to youngest and we all had a moment together there in the kitchen. I love it.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
I remember so well that age difference between Rob and Sue. I thought I would lose it and I think sometimes I did. It really is real to have the emotional pull from a teenager and a physical pull from a two year old. But you are right it doesn't last forever and so enjoy and love. Love you Mom