Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Young and Old on Wednesday

Today Bea got a book at the library called "Am I Big or Little?" The mom says, "You're little enough to _______" and the girl says, "But I'm big enough to ________". I've been having similar thoughts all week about my age as I creep uncomfortably closer to 40. Am I young or am I old?



I've made peace--even friends--with my brown curly hair just when it's starting to turn gray and thin. Am I too old to grow it long one last time?

I'm determined to beat my weight into submission, but the stretch marks and crow's feet are here to stay. I'm working on the conviction that healthy can be even more beautiful than young.

I love to exercise on the wii fit--the only video game I've ever done well on--because my virtual age is always younger than my real age!

Am I happy? (yes)
Do I feel fulfilled? (mostly)
Do I have meaningful relationships in my life? (yes)
Am I a good mother? (I think I'm okay, but complaints around here often say otherwise. It's easy to lose confidence.)
Do I have any major regrets in life? (no)
Do I have a testimony and faith? (yes)

So far so good. I think I will pursue another year.

from my girls:
Sarah Jane: Mom is old enough to cook her own meals, but young enough not to be a grandma.
Eloise: Mom is old enough to know a lot but young enough to still learn from her daughters :) .
Maddie: Mom is old enough to yell at me, but young enough to go shopping with me.

10 comments:

Maggie said...

You look nice and young to me :) That's a cute picture of you.Happy birthday tomorrow. I almost called you today to avoid the busy birthday phone calls but I guess my kids were being too naughty. I agree that healthy is more beautiful than young.

Emily said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! What kind of cake are we talking about? Wish we could eat a slice together! You're old enough to write well, and you're young enough to write funny. I love you! Have a great day tomorrow!

Mariposa said...

40 is the new 25. at least that's what they say in Hollywood where no one has kids and has personal trainers and dietitians at their beck and call. you look mahvelous, dahling. talk to you soon!

Amy T said...

Happy Birthday, Flori! Your picture is great; your face looks so thin, and your hair is as beautiful as ever! Anyway, you're not turning 40 YET! I hope you have a great day!

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori

You are still very young because young is relative (?) that word doesn't look right but can't think of the right one. You are young to me. So young but to Maddie Bea and others you are old. What does that make me! A grandma. I can remember when I wasn't a grandma. Does that count. I remember when I had a grandma. Yet I think of myself as a mother and even a young woman when I think back at the things I remember. Was it really that long ago? Not in the years of the world. I am a lot younger than Emma Smith, Sariah, Eve. Yet these are women we know as young. Right! So enjoy young you always will be young to someone but especially to your self because you remember what it was like to be young. Love Mom

Wake Raiders said...

Happy Birthday Flori! I had grand plans to write you a hand-written birthday letter -- Ooops! My days and weeks seem to just get away from me.... but just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you especially today.

Mary Anne said...

My mother always said she was 16 at heart and she really did seem younger than she was (she'd be turning 72 this year). I think you've done a good job with that so far. Being optomistic seems to be part of it and you always seem to look on the bright side in the end.

It's funny how nice it was to see you. Somehow it's different than just hearing from you (which is a delight as well).

Happy Birthday! I hope you've had a lovely day.

You're old enough to have refined taste in fabric and food.
You're young enough to still try new things.

Krista said...

Flori Happy Birthday!!! I was thinking about you a lot yesterday and I forgot to call. I like your list and that yes you will persue another year. :) You are old enough to have some amazing mothering and cooking skills under your belt and young enough of course to grow your hair longer! I hope you had a great day. I don't think I've heard about the Smokey's trip yet. Did you love it?

Kimo said...

40?!? We are not even close to 40!!! I mean, c'mon, I'm only 36... that's not close to 40 is it? Hope you had a wonderful birthday! And I have ALWAYS wished I had your hair instead of my stick-straight, zero body hair... I am ever jealous.

Maggie said...

Everything okay? I missed your Wednesday post this week.