Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Retreating


Sometimes you just gotta get out of Dodge. We are headed to the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee to celebrate Sarah Jane's birthday. We try to do an "experience" gift when our kids turn 8, and hers coincided with an invitation from some good friends in Indiana. They have a daughter Sarah's age, and she couldn't be more thrilled than to have a whole weekend of playing with a friend! We are sharing a cabin in the woods and I can't wait for some new scenery, some down time, and some late night visiting with old friends.

Our digs are near Dollywood (huge amusement complex owned by yes, Dolly Parton), and Gatlingburg, TN (a famous mountain resort), but we are planning to spend our time wandering around outside, playing and hiking. A break from your usual life (even just for a weekend) can be so relaxing and refreshing. Plus, we get to eat yummy food all weekend and we even have our own hot tub! Ah, small luxuries.

Our friends are vegetarian, so it has been a fun challenge coming up with meals. Fun because I already have a lot of meatless meals in my repetoire....challenging because the mom is vegan and I hadn't realized how much I depend on eggs, butter and cheese.

Best of all, SJCC is 8 and 8 is great!!! We took her to lunch today and I'm about to start preparing a Chinese food feast for her requested birthday dinner. I love birthdays. I love that she is growing up to be such a sweet, lovely, creative, caring, entertaining girl. Love that she is more excited about going to the mountains than having an expensive, stressful, hectic birthday party.

LOVE that every year, she requests coconut cream pie instead of a birthday cake. Do you think I should break my no-sugar rule to have pie with her? I'm still debating, but dang, that pie looks good. I guess that's a Re-treat of another sort...
Boo. Bad pun, but I couldn't resist. The girls have been very into puns lately and I keep thinking of them. It's genetic.

4 comments:

johnnyboy said...

Retreat. That's funny.

Happy birthday Sarah Jane! Hope you guys have a world of fun in the hills. It's 60 degrees today in Chicago, so, if the weather holds up okay for you guys this weekend, I think you'll really enjoy it. (though, I have to admit, after spending a few weekends last year in small cabins with dads and boy scouts, I can't really look upon them the same). Boys stink! You're lucky you only have one to put up with ;-)

As far as the coconut conundrum goes, I only have two words of advice—Stay Strong! Remember Flo, the pie that you DIDN'T eat will be much more memorable than the one you did—and you can always assuage your taste buds with the notion that perhaps skipping out on a few treats this year might allow you to be around for an extra birthday party six decades hence.

And wouldn't that be a treat?

Krista said...

Happy Birthday Sarah Jane! That trip sounds amazing. I can't wait to hear more about it. I would love a birthday like that! If you don't eat your slice of pie will you send it to me. Oh, that sounds SOOOOOOO good. so so good. Oh, I wish I had some this very minute!

Maggie said...

The great smokey mountains sound so romantic. I hope you guys have a great time.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori

That sounds like fun. Susan is going to be missing seeing you but sometimes you just can't do everything. I think they are on spring break right now and so I think they might be going somewhere. I remember they want to go to the Biltmore. So they will be in Ashville. Loved talking to Sarah and I agree she is growing up and her conversation was so grown-up but I love that she still likes to play with dolls. I know she will take care of her Josephine. She is such a pretty doll. Have a great time as a family in the hills of Tennesse. Love Mom