Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lucky Irish heirloom recipes

On several different years, I've tried making corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day. It just never turns out how I think it should and every time I ask myself why I feel compelled to make this traditional Irish dish. We're not Irish. I don't buy green candy or decorate with shamrocks. I do wear green, but just because it's funny to wonder if someone besides my kids would pinch me for not wearing green. :)

Today I decided to try a new tradition--Irish beef stew--by using our favorite stew recipe (and just calling it 'Irish'). I gathered all the ingredients and pulled out the crockpot, but when I went to get the recipe, it was nowhere to be found. I've made it many times, but apparently didn't put the card back last time. I called my mother-in-law, who first gave me the recipe. When I couldn't reach her, I made my way through several sisters-in-law, and then to my own mother. Each woman gave me a different recipe, and I had no luck finding a similar recipe online. So I made it according to memory, knowing full well I was missing ingredients and amounts. We haven't tasted it yet, but I wonder if anyone will say, "This doesn't taste the same...."

It made me think about recipes and how they get passed on, changed, adopted as our own. I would seriously consider rescuing my cookbooks if our house was burning down. I've realized today that there are thousands of beef stew recipes, but only one that is our family's favorite. It made me think of a dear friend whose mother has passed away and one of my friend's biggest regrets is that she didn't write down all of her mother's best recipes and the changes she made.

I like trying new recipes, but I'm trying to compile a 'best of' and would be happy to share it once I get organized (check back in a few years!). I have made MANY pots of minestrone, but always come back to my mom's. Her cream pies are the BEST, too. But I don't use her roll recipe (I use the Lion House recipe) and obviously, we inherited a wonderful beef stew recipe from Rob's side. If I get lucky and find it soon, I'll post it here.

5 comments:

kim said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day! After several years of fixing corned beef and cabbage, and having tons of leftovers because the kids won't eat any of it, I searched around this year and found out that Irish people don't even eat corned beef. Who knew? So we're just having baked potatoes with some cabbage for me. :)

kim said...

OH, and as for the recipes, I have the unfortunate situation that people in my family don't use exact amounts, so its close to impossible to copy recipes. but then again, I'm passing on the same tradition.

Emily said...

My mom tells me recipes by giving me lists of ingredients and expecting me to know how much of each to add. She has the gift. I do not. That's why I want a copy of the Best of Flori cook book.

Melinda said...

I would pay money for your cookbook :) I love your cooking!!! It was great to talk to you today...oh how I wish you lived closer!

Mariposa said...

same! I'm trying to put together a "tried and true" recipe book and so far I have 5 recipes. that makes thing easier. for st. patty's I made an italian potato fritatta (in memory of SAINT patrick who was probably catholic....right?....plus the irish are known for their taters....true?....) actually, i was mostly just craving it. then seth inadvertently hurt my feelings by telling me that it didn't look very appetizing but, in truth, it was the best looking fritatta i'd ever made. and guess what...we all enjoyed it (seth only gave it a 7, but I'm sure a 10 would have ensued has I used something more flavorful like bacon and BUTTER) :) and tillie ate every last bite. so, does that mean the irish fri-tah-tah is here to stay come every march 17?