Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
























He's a favorite nap-time story friend....the fat little squirrel who hides nuts in a hollow tree. (I personally favor his naught friend, Chippy Hackee, the striped chipmunk, but that is entirely besides the point of this tale.) Chippy Hackee is the best name ever.

Now, however, fat squirrels are no longer my friend; now that there is one trapped in our chimney and I can hear him scrabbling, climbing, and falling down over and over again. It's agonizing...and disturbing...and creepy...and loud.

A mystery animal died in our chimney a couple of summers ago and it was very bad and stinky for a long time, because we couldn't get it out. We had our chimney opening wrapped in wire as they do here, but apparently, we have a really cozy chimney that attracts critters.

I spent a long time on the phone today with various chimney sweeps and animal control people. One woman insisted I tell her specifically what kind of animal it was, even though I repeatedly told her I couldn't SEE it, only hear it. Another man tried to reassure me that it was a squirrel, saying "cuz if it was a 'coon, you'd hear all sorts of screamin' and cryin' goin' on." Yikes. I guess I'm thankful we can only hear it scratching and not screaming--I don't think we could handle that. We're already pretty freaked out by the scary noises coming from the fireplace.

It's just much nicer to think of squirrels wearing aprons and little red vests and talking amongst themselves about where to bury the nuts. And then Beatrix Potter's little birds can sing, "Who's-been-digging-up-my-nuts?" and "little-bit-of-bread-and-no-cheese!"

We've got someone coming in the morning with a tall ladder, a rope (so the squirrel can hopefully climb back out), and a new chimney cap. So long Timmy Tiptoes.

5 comments:

kim said...

Glad you finally found someone willing to come out and help! Good luck!

Krista said...

Oh, I hope it is that easy. We have a lot of fat squirrels too I've never thought of them coming down the chimney. I love those peter rabbit books too. They do look so adorable.

Wake Raiders said...

Never a dull moment!

Maggie said...

I love it. What's the difference between a squirrel and a rat? A squirrel is a rat with good PR. I do think squirrels are cute but not so much in the house. I'm getting "the shivers" as a type this. Good luck.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
Did you hear about Amy's adventure not long ago when she brought in the Christmas wreath from the door one late night leaving it to put away in the morning. When she went out to jog the next morning there was a bird flying around in her house. It must have been nesting in the wreath and she gently let it into the house. Mike opened a window then shooed it out with a net. I think we don't know what it is like to live in close relationship to animals. I think of the pioneer folk. I couldn't be a pioneer.