Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Book That Changed Me

A friend asked me last week to recommend some books for her to read, but she asked "What are your top 10 favorite books?" As I thought about it, I realized that my personal favorites aren't all books I'd recommend to others. I think there are certain books that you read at just the right moment and they take root in your heart/mind/imagination and somehow it fundamentally changes you and your view about life.

I read "Mitten Strings for God" shortly after Sarah Jane was born in Bloomington and it changed the way I felt about motherhood and the expectations I had for myself and family. It helped me know it's okay to pull back from other pursuits, even if they're good ones. You can be a good, helpful person without volunteering for every task that needs doing. It's good to keep things simple, casual, and manageable. I originally read it from the library, but soon bought my own copy to mark and reread. Every time I open it, I'm reminded of that time in my life when I made a conscious effort to slow down a little and I'm reminded to maintain that effort.
Friends who have read it have had varied reactions, but for me, it was an important book and will remain a favorite.

Have you read a book that has changed you?

4 comments:

Maggie said...

"There are no Children Here" by Alex Kolowitz. I read it a semester before I went to Chicago. It made me appreciate my own childhood and realize a lot of struggles, challenges, and heartache that a lot of kids face. Speaking of... I might need to reread that sometime.

Mariposa said...

Twilight by stephanie meyer. It just made me realize how nice vampires can be.

Mary Anne said...

How to pick just one. . . Brevity is soooo not my forte.

Mitten Strings, just like you said, is a great book for helping you to prioritze the many roles we are asked to fill. Along with that one on a more physical application Confessions of an Organized Homemaker by Deniece Schofield is another great 'MOM' read. Both help you to feel that what you do as a homemaker, wife and mother is very valuable and worth the amount of time you give to it. And offer some great suggestions on what works for them without stating "here's how you have to do it." It's nice to be reassured and so rare for it to come from the world. That is a book that changed me.

As for my favorite book (which is what the email header asked for) I cannot make such a declarative statement. Our home teacher asked us that a few months ago and neither of us could narrow it down so minutely. I think John ended up picking the Lord of the Rings trilogy afterwhich I was sorely tempted to choose The Chronicles of Narnia. Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine was a close contender as well. But I felt I was neglecting my love of Women's Literature and from there there are just so many great authors. The 3 Bronte sisters, Willa Cather, Shannon, Hale Lucy Maud Montgomery . . . but I think I finally chose The Harvester by Gene Stratton-Porter. I love that she is not afraid to make people good. Not perfect, but just good solid people with some morals. (I'd rather have David Langston over Edward Cullen any day. Don't get me wrong;Twilight definatly crossed my mind as a favorite and a book that changed me.) John and I decided our collective favorite was The Moon Is Down by John Steinbeck.

It's been a while since I read a new book that I just LOVED though, you know.

Brevity Shmevity.

klchristensen said...

Dearest Flori
I could not even come close to the reader you are but I have some books that I remember made an impression on me because of it being a certain time in my life. Books can sometimes be like going to the temple and having awe hah moments. They just speak to you at that time. However there is one I would suggest that everyone read that would like to learn more or understand just a little bit more about the atonement. Title: The Infinite Atonement by Tad Callister
I loved that book.