Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Groove is in the Heart

A friend put an 80's dance mix on my ipod and it makes me nostalgic every time I listen to it. Today as I ran my way through OingoBoingo, Erasure, The Pet Shop Boys, Def Leppard, and Dexys Midnight Runners, so many memories came flooding back.

I almost laughed right out loud when Pour Some Sugar on Me came on and I was transported to the summer of 1988, between 8th and 9th grade. I have a really strong memory of going to Lagoon many times that summer (Did I have a season pass? How did I get there? Did my parents really let me go to Lagoon unsupervised? I have no memory of these things) with my friends and this song seemed to always be playing. We loved it and would dance around and sing it at the top of our lungs. It was so loud and wild compared to the usual synth pop we listened to....so Def Leppard was my rebellious music phase (and only this song). Other sharp memories from that time of life include Slurpees at 7-11, chocolate cake donuts from Wally's Donut Shop, riding the city bus to my best friend's house, and some pretty sweet white ankle boots with fringe on the side. (My best friend, Alica, and I bought matching boots at Payless with our babysitting money. Yes!)
Through it all, I had some of the best friends ever, Alica, Kim, and Megan. We did a lot together in those years and they were such fun girls, and NICE girls too. As my own daughters begin to navigate the tricky world of girl friendships, I'm especially aware of and grateful for the good friends I had.
We are starting to see the first tiny signs of Maddie's interest in boys, and I can't help but think of all the boys who passed in and out of our lives in those years. The boys in my ward and neighborhood, who were always around, for better (and for worse, usually). All the crushes, phone calls, drive-bys, conversation dissections and school dances. If Maddie is even half as boy-crazy as I was, we are in some serious trouble, with a capital T!

All these thoughts as I ran and wondered how I became who I am now from the girl who danced in the sun at Lagoon 22 years ago.

2 comments:

agarlitz said...

I loved that time in my life as well. It was one of the greatest times of my life. It is so important to have good friends and I am lucky to have you. I hope I never forget our past life together.
Love ya
Alica

Kimo said...

Oh, I remember those days... I even still have the little keychain with 'Lagoon' embossed in gold on the side, that you look into to see the overpriced tiny little picture at the end with the four of us posing with our eighties hair and socks.

And, I too have vivid memories of standing in line for the rides dancing, unashamedly, to 'Pour Some Sugar on Me'. Perhaps trying to catch the eye of some cute boy wandering by. Aaaah, what times we had.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.