Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Something Fun(gus) for Lunch


Oh, mushrooms, how I do love thee. And now I hardly ever see you anymore since my husband hates you. Luckily he's not a picky eater and will eat anything except you, but I really wish he could appreciate your good qualities....

Once a year, I make myself a pot of Hungarian Mushroom Soup--a recipe I got from a friend a few years ago. It is so delicious and I savor it all week long, since no one else in my house wants to eat it. As the craving has been building, I've been telling my running partner about it and she wanted to try it too, so yesterday we had a little tasting party. I invited a few friends over for lunch and asked them to each bring something they love to eat, but that isn't appreciated by the rest of their family. We ended up with mushroom soup, homemade pretzels, awesome salad with pecans, cranberries, and goat cheese, and oatmeal raisin cookies. (Weirdo husbands--who doesn't like goat cheese or raisins, I ask you?!)

After being cooped up in the house for several snowy days, this was a really fun break and a delicious way to spend a couple of hours. Best of all, there was exactly one bowl of soup left, so I get to enjoy it once more. If you like mushrooms AT ALL, try this soup and you won't be sorry. The only thing I do different from the recipe is use fat free half & half instead of milk, and I omit the salt since there is plenty in the chicken broth.

What do you like to make that nobody else in your house wants to eat? Can you come over for lunch and bring some? I will make stuffed mushrooms next time...

**mushroom photo from aaaaahhhhshark.wordpress.com

4 comments:

Krista said...

I have to think....and I just took 1/2 a unisom...so thinking is not as much an option...But, I think that was a great idea to have a lunch like that. I'm going to try that. You are one smart southern gal. Or should I say northern now?

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
yum that soup sounded really good and wha a great idea. I would do pickled beets or some boiled beets smothered in butter and salt. Dad doesn't like beets or they don't like him is how he puts it. Right now another thing I would make is mint brownies dad has been off chocolate for two years now and I don't make to many things that are chocolate since he can't eat it and if I do I would need to be rolled away. The good thing about no chocolate is dad has not had a kidney stone for two years. Maybe it really is the problem. So the rest of my life will be trying to figure out desserts with no chocolate. Oh well Thanks again for Wednesdays I love it. Mom

Mariposa said...

first of all....my biggest regret on my mission is that i never used the hand harvested porcini mushrooms a member gave us b/c my comp. didn't like them. This member made us a fried mushroom pizza and it was THE BEST meal I ate in Italy--HANDS DOWN!!

as far as husbands go, seth doesn't really like asparagus, and he isn't super crazy about artichoke. isn't that so sad....:( *sigh*

Emily said...

What do I like that he won't eat? Haven't found that one yet. Perhaps the better question for us is "What does he like that I won't cook?" Poor Dan. He likes pot roast, steak, and all kinds of red meat, and I really only like white meat, and really only chicken and pork. But mostly chicken. And we've noticed that he likes salty and I like sweet. When I grocery shop, I splurge on chocolate chips and ice cream, and he comes home with salt and vinegar chips or tostitos. But somehow our marriage has survived, and Dan is always willing to do the shopping, hoping, probably, that what he buys may someday end up on his plate.