Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Swooning


We are getting close to swooning around here. Maddie had developed an intense interest in historical fiction with a romantic twist. Over the summer we watched several versions of Pride and Prejudice (Colin Firth, *sigh*), Sense and Sensibility, and Jane Eyre (oh, that Mr. Rochester!)

We ended with an emotional Anne of Green Gables marathon. I remember the summer I first fell for Gilbert Blythe. I was 15 and we were visiting friends in Canada. They lived far out in the country and I was being a very ungracious house guest and proclaiming my teenage boredom throughout the house. The mom suggested I watch this new movie they had and I was hooked. I think I watched the whole series at least 3 times that week. It is fun to see Maddie get giddy for these romantic heroes and every time we watch one of these movies, I am SO glad I have girls who will swoon and sigh with me.

I laughed so hard the other day, talking with friends about the huge posters we used to have on the backs of our doors...Kirk Cameron, George Michael, the Top Gun team...and how we would get so dreamy about them. (Do they even make giant posters any more?!) I know those boy-crazy days are nearly here for Maddie, but I'll be glad for every day she keeps stars in her eyes for Gilbert Blythe.

5 comments:

Joseph said...

I remember that marathon run. You were so engrossed that I even sat down for a minute to watch thinking it must be really cool. What a disappointment. I vowed then to never watch another minute of Anne of Green Gables.

Kirk Cameron on the other hand... I still have his poster up in our master bedroom. So dreamy...

agarlitz said...

I love those movies. Elle loves them too. They are romantic and we even love Little house on the prairie. Laura and Almanzo. Fun to watch!
Hope things are going well with you. Call me when you have some time.

Carrie said...

Sigh...I know exactly what you mean and feel the urge to watch the whole Anne series and make my hubby endure it (he'll love it--he's totally gotten sappy with age :)

My teenage crush was (is?) Brad Pitt. I had a whole calendar of pictures of him--I saved at least 10 of the 12 for my bedroom walls.

In A River Runs Through It he is still totally adorable. And in Legends of the Fall too, and probably all the Oceans movies...:)

Emily said...

Yes, Mr. Rochester is worth swooning over. But why did he go for that way-too-plain Jane Eyre? I'm talking about the one in the movie. She had no passion, the little mouse. Maybe directors did that intentionally so that every woman who watches Jane Eyre secretly says to herself, "He'd be better off with me."

Mariposa said...

what about mr. Knightly in Emma? Or Edmund in Mansfield Park? And what about Jordan and Jonathan Knight of the NKOTB? Or what's his face from all the 80s movies (Mermaids, 16 Candles) *sigh*

My school girl crush was Christian Bale (hello, newsies?!) have your girls watched that yet? call me when they do...