Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Beauty of two ugly quilts



My maternal grandmother Ruth Adams is a skilled quilter with many beautiful quilts to her credit. She has finally stopped quilting in the last year and divided her long-held fabric stash between my mother and aunts. While visiting my parents this summer, I cut squares from 36 of those vintage fabrics, including a scrap of the fabric used for the bridesmaid dresses at my parents' wedding. This was my triumphant and happy return to sewing after a 3-month hiatus and it was a great project! I was wondering what to use for the backing--I wanted something that looked old but wasn't too scary. I was so happy to find this length of fabric at Goodwill for $2.



Now that Rob is working at UGA, we feel obligated to pay homage to the famous Georgia bulldog. He was so happy to find this really awful fabric at Ikea: Varmt Hund. We bought one in red/white and one in black/white since those are all UGA's colors. The red one is a now an office wall hanging, and this one is a lap quilt for his attic office when it gets cold. You can't see it, but I machine quilted all around the dog. Again, I found an awesome backing at Goodwill--almost 4 yards of black velvet corduroy for just a few dollars.

I think these are the ugliest two quilts I've ever made, but they were very inexpensive and fun to do and I hope our family will get lots of good use from them!

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Good work! You're my inspiration and I hope to start sewing again soon. Just after I finish a few more summer projects(more canning. Talk to you soon.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
I am glad you have returned to two of your creative outlets. Your Wed. with Flori and your fabric art. We love your talents and hope you are passing on these talents to your girls or at least introducing them to writing and fabric. I know Eloise has creative talent in junk art and Maddie has the theatrical talent. It will be fun to see the favorites of Sarah and Bea. Love Mom