Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jello TAP-ee-OCA pudding

It may (or may not) surprise you to know that I have a serious weakness for commercial-grade pudding. I love pudding packs, and tapioca is my favorite. (On a side note, I really love homemade tapioca pudding. For some reason, my mom used to always put red food coloring in to turn it a pale shade of pink. I was an adult with my own children before I knew that tapioca is not really pink.)

Our small, limited-selection store, Aldi, usually only carries chocolate and vanilla packs. As I was gearing up for school lunches at the grocery store last week, I noticed they had a special purchase of both tapioca and butterscotch pudding. So I totally stocked up. Today as I made lunches for the first day of school, I proudly slipped a tapioca pudding and spoon into each lunch box, thinking what a fun treat it would be for the girls (and surreptitiously tucking the 4th snack pack in the fridge for my afternoon snack....)

Imagine my horror when one by one, each daughter came home from school, and told me, "Mom, that pudding you gave me was all rotten and curdled. I had to throw the whole thing away." Oh, the waste...
And oh, the sadness, when I told them they missed out on tapioca pudding. I sure enjoyed mine.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I love tapioca! And I'm so glad you're writing!

Andrew | Susan | Grayer said...

That is too funny!! Although, I must admit I would have thrown my pudding away too!! :) Tapioca Pudding is not my favorite thing! But you are sweet for trying to give the girls a special treat!! I always loved it when Mom did that for me!!
Well, I must second Emily's comment above and say, I'm so glad you're writing again!!

CK said...

we must be from the same stock, you and I. i cannot resist if the Kozy Shak is on sale at the market. seth thinks I'm bonkers that I love it. but, seriously, what's NOT to love. answer me that.

Mariposa said...

we must be from the same stock, you and I. i cannot resist if the Kozy Shak is on sale at the market. seth thinks I'm bonkers that I love it. but, seriously, what's NOT to love. answer me that.

Mariposa said...

hahaah!!! i totally commented under CK's name! sorry about that!