Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Goody Two Shoes

Goody Two Shoes: Someone who is virtuous in a coy, smug or sentimental manner.

I have a friend named Toncie Ball, a super sweet, genuine Southern lady in her eighties. She goes to church with us and blesses our family in so many ways. I love her grandma house with all the little treasures, her knowledge of southern cuisine and customs, her delight in our girls, and her bravery and optimism despite loneliness and health problems. Today Bea and I picked her up for a doctor's appointment and she had a new stick pony for Bea that she found on clearance after Christmas. Bea brought it into the doctor's office and proceeded to charm all the other patients in the waiting room (all older people, since it was a cataract surgeon).
I have often thought that if I ever go back to work or school, I would like to pursue something in geriatrics. I really enjoy older people and feel comfortable around them. One of the sweetest experiences of my life was living next door to my great Grandmother when Maddie was a baby--of course I loved her as my grandmother, but I also loved getting to know her as a neighbor and dear friend.
My parents had the inspired idea to send me around (get me out of the house!) on errands to many of the widows in the neighborhood where I grew up. I remember shoveling walks, emptying garbages, feeding cats, and raking leaves. I remember riding my bike to visit Brother and Sister Hyde. He was blind and she was slightly batty, but so nice. I'd do little chores for them and they'd give me stale candy.
I loved our little English neighbor, Ivy Buschi, and my assigned visits soon became my own idea and choice. A friend and I made up fake adoption papers and adopted Sister Buschi as our grandma. I was in 6th grade when she died and still remember the smell of her house and the sight of her swollen legs propped up on her couch, under an afghan. I treasure a small statue she left to me. It's called "Goody Two Shoes" by Royal Doulton.

All this is not to be smug about doing good deeds among the elderly, but just to say that it makes me happy to have adopted grandmas in my life.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I think that adopted Grandma idea is totally adorable and very sweet. I bet your neighbor just loved your attention and visits so much. I had an elderly neighbor like that too--my best friend and I would visit her and marvel at her random collections and vintage dolls. And of course we loved any treat or snack she would throw our way too.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
You are so wonderful with older people. I know how much your Great grandmother loved having you next door to her. She loved Rob also which I'm not sure how he got on her good side. Our family learned to love her also and I have a blouse that I still wear that was hers and I think of her everytime I wear it. Thanks for including me in the tokens that bring on memories. Love Mom