Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever


Against my better judgment, I responded to the frantic call for help to make *a few* costumes for our stake Nativity festival. Suddenly I had committed to make 10 of them. So I, in turn, made a frantic plea for help on Sunday. Three women came over to cut and sew with me on Tuesday and several more are coming on Friday night. (Thank goodness for Relief Society sisters!!!) So far, the costumes look awesome and I think the kids are going to have a great time dressing up.

I feel like I've spent A LOT of time at the church lately, having "a lot of churchy opportunities", as Nacho Libre said. Sometimes it feels so exhausting and crazy--I wonder how that busy-ness ties in with the gospel. The girl next to me at the dinner had a book of quotes by President Hinckley and I found this one, which immediately spoke to me.

"Cultivate an attitude of happiness. Cultivate a spirit of optimism. Walk with faith, rejoicing in the beauties of nature, in the goodness of those you love, in the testimony which you carry in your heart concerning things divine."
--Gordon B. Hinckley, One Bright Shining Hope

The testimony in my heart concerning things divine. That's why I do what I do. It makes me tired, but it also makes me happy.

3 comments:

Krista said...

amen sister! That is a beautiful quote. I think your ward is very lucky to have you and your fantastic talents and optimism.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
You are so great and the example you are setting for your girls is great. We have to not only talk the talk but walk the walk. Love Mom

Mariposa said...

you're so righteous. i would have turned them down before they even finished their question. ;)