Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Murphy's Law

I clearly remember my dad explaining 'Murphy's Law' to me when I was 9 or 10. I was fascinated by (as Wiki says) "the perceived perversity of the universe".

Today was a perfect case in point. We were scheduled to meet Rob's parents and his sister Susan and her family in the Blue Ridge mountains. We had a full day of apple picking, picnicing, hiking, and browsing planned. And after a full week of lovely fall weather, today was very chilly and rainy. Why, universe, why?

Actually, it turned out to be a pretty fun day, though we were chilled and soggy by the end. We lingered over lunch, dawdled in a fun toy store, and huddled around a box of hot cider doughnuts at the orchard. We did call it quits on picking and bought pre-picked apples. They're still fresh, right?

So if Murphy's law is "anything that can go wrong will go wrong", I'm wondering if there's a phrase for the opposite--when everything that can go right, goes right.

Due to an amazingly wonderful confluence of events, Rob and I are going to Italy in December!! He has been invited to a conference in Turin and then we'll take the train down to Florence. I've always wanted to go to Florence. It's my name. I have to go. It's my new law.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Italy? Can I stow away in your suitcase? I am so excited for you. So what dates will you be going? Ahhhh, how romantic. I am so excited for you guys.

Mariposa said...

mamma mia! sono gelosissima! non e' giusto e vorrei accompagnarvi, pero sono una poveraccia and non ce la faccio (cio che dice mio marito...scemo....)

trans: I'm soooo jealous! It's not fair and i wish I could go with you but i'm shamefully poor and can't make it work (or so says my husband...punk...)

Melinda said...

Hooray!!! I am excited for your getaway!!!

klchristensen said...

I am a little behind on the Wed. Flori letters but I wanted to thank you for making the effort to comes and see us if only for a day. Yes the rain made it a little more difficult but I felt sunny inside to see my beautiful granddaughters. Love them all. Eloise had changed since summer. Maddie still has that bright pretty clear complextion. Bea didn't quite have enough time to warm up. Sarah Jane is the one sometimes lost in the shuffle but her Grandpa thinks she is the best of the best. Love Mom