Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Praise the Lord on Wednesday

We had a super awesome Southern experience last night when we attended a Gospel Shout at the United House of Prayer for All People. We didn't make it to the Soul food dinner beforehand, but you can be sure we'll be there next year, because this is going to be an annual tradition for our family. It was everything I imagined and more--all the clapping, shouting, call and response singing, a capella choirs, and hands raised to heaven. The only thing I wasn't prepared for were the tambourines. Wow. I didn't even know the possibilities of this instrument. People in the audience even brought their own tambourines so they could bang along with the band. (Sorry for the horrible video--Bea was hanging on my arm--but you have to see this guy.)






For a better sound than I could capture, listen here. Loved the trumpets. Loved the swaying and clapping. It was loud and wild and so different from anything I've ever heard before. The girls (especially Bea) were a little weirded out at first, but soon we were all clapping and dancing too. You just can't sit still with this kind of worship going on. And it is worship, though very different from ours. It felt joyful, welcoming, and inspiring and called to mind a long heritage of beautiful song and dance in worship. Let all the people cry Amen!

3 comments:

Maggie said...

I love it! Maybe we're going to the wrong church :)

Krista said...

now THAT looks like fun church to me.

Mariposa said...

can i get an AMEN?!