Wednesday, September 16, 2009

It's a beautiful day in the Neighborhood

One neighbor(Shan) just called to say she took our other neighbor (Kathryn) to the ER with a migraine. Shan picked up Kathryn's son from preschool and called me to see if the two of us could pull together dinner for Kathryn's family. I'm supplying a few ingredients and making cornbread for 3 families and Shan is making Jambalaya for the rest of us. Nice. This is how our neighbors roll and we love it.

Our retired neighbor, Bill, has been teaching Rob jazz piano for the last several months and shares his bumper crop of tomatoes with us. MaryAnne next door gives us yard advice and her son helps us with mechanical repairs. Kim gets me out running in the early mornings and trades babysitting with me. Kathryn is comic relief at the bus stop in the mornings and Shan always knows what to do in a crisis. I keep tabs on everyone and try to get us together once in a while. We know everyone in 8 of the 10 houses we can see from ours (and a few neighbor/friends we can't see from our house).

Bill (piano neighbor) and his wife Gwen came for dinner last weekend and told us they are moving soon to be closer to family. Still in Charlotte, but not in our cozy little neighborhood. Rob doesn't get sentimental about much, but he was very sad about this news. It feels good to have neighbors you know and trust and it stinks when you have to break it up. Viva Cheshunt!

Thinking about this reminds me of all the neighbors we've loved before--the Tongan family, the sweet Jewish lady, and the eldery childless couple who raised turtles and chihuahuas (neighbors from my childhood). A fun neighbor named Megan who traded recipes with me while our girls played on the steps in front of our student apartments. The Wenglers, Bradshaws, Waltons, Hansons--dear friends in our Indiana Mormon Ghetto apartments :) Such happy memories from all those homes and neighbors. I often tell my far away sisters and sisters-in-law that I wish we could be neighbors--to share jobs, recipes, ideas & companionship.

To all of you, I sing:

I have always wanted to have a neighbor just like you,
I've always wanted to live in a neighborhood with you.

So let's make the most of this beautiful day,
Since we're together, we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won't you be my neighbor?

Won't you please,
Won't you please,
Please won't you be my neighbor?



8 comments:

Carrie said...

I would love to have you as a neighbor Flori! I think about the days when I honestly lived 3 doors down from my big sis and they were heavenly. You guys have a good thing going in your 'hood'. I think I need to be a better neighbor after reading this post...

Maggie said...

That's great that you have such good neighbors. I already told you today, but we could have endless possibilities if we were neighbors- we could sew together, go running, hang out and you could cook me dinner every other night:)

kim said...

I'm so glad that I get to be one of those neighbors now, and that you guys "talked us into" moving into this neighborhood--its really been a great thing!

Let us know if we can do anything for Kathryn.

just shan said...

We really do have a good thing here. Love to you, my friend. I will be down with dinner shortly. :)

klchristensen said...

Dear Florence the marvelous writer:
This has to be one of my favorite Wednesday's with Flori. I love how you make everyone your friends. You and Rob have such a great gift in that way. What great missionaries you are and great neighbors. Thanks for this news on Wednesday it made my day. Love Mom
PS give the girls kisses from Idaho

Krista said...

I'd be your neighbor any day. Sounds like you've made a great neighborhood. I think it takes work but look how awesome it is that you guys help each other out. love it.

Melinda said...

Oh! I would love to be your neighbor!!! What fun we would have. Maybe you could even convince me that running is "fun"! I love your Wednesday letters. They always make me feel close to you and your family. I love to feel part of what is going on in your life. Thanks for sharing!

Mariposa said...

to be honest...we've never had fab neighbors, but it's probably b/c I'm not way neighborly. however, we have found great friends in our wards everywhere we've been and for that, I am incredibly grateful. I wish we could all be neighbors, but I'm sure the in-laws would all feel overwhelmed ;) here's to wishing...