Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Brain Waves


On our way home from Wilmington on Monday I found myself thinking about my college roommate, Melissa. I hadn't heard from her in several months and was missing her, wondering what she's been doing. When I checked my email that night, I found I had an email from her and also a comment on our blog. Do you think that's coincidence or telepathy? I called her the next day and we had a long talk and laughed about catching each other's 'brain waves'. It's nice to know that someone else was thinking about you just as you were thinking about them. It seems to happen to me alot though.

The other thing that often happens is the desire to write a letter. Sometimes it's just wanting to put pen to paper, sometimes I get a feeling that someone needs a letter. I usually don't know the result of these promptings, but it always makes ME feel better to put an envelope in the mail.

But today the brain waves are short and far between. We're still unpacking from Wilmington and Rob leaves early tomorrow morning for a conference in Ohio. Eloise has been home sick for two days. Potty training continues. End of term projects are due and leaves are beginning to fall. The house is a wreck and I'm hosting book group here tomorrow night.

I was wondering why on earth I volunteered for that and then I remembered that with Rob out of town, the only way I can go is if it's at my house. We're discussing "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society"--a book about books, told through letters--and therefore a great favorite of mine. In fact, my roommate Melissa had just discussed this in her book group and thought of me when they talked about writing letters. So it all comes together at last.

All this to deal with and the only thing I can think about it is what to make for the book group treat. I love planning what to serve. Potato Peel Pie didn't cut it, so I think I'm going to try an apple pie with a cheddar crust and vanilla ice cream. Brain wave me if you want to come over and try some :)

3 comments:

Charity said...

Mmm, sounds good, I'm coming! And don't worry about how clean your house is, we just want to get away from ours for a while and enjoy some good conversation. So, just push everything in a closet or behind the couch, I promise we won't look or judge! :) See you tonight.

Andrew | Susan | Grayer said...

I guess that is the popular book for the month of September because both my book club and Megan's book club also read that book!! I want some of your yummy apple pie!!! This month for recipe group we have to make something with apples, and I got nothing! Could you pass along the recipe!! Miss you and love you!!!

Maggie said...

I don't know if my brain wave was strong enough. Sounds good though. I do like cheese and apples together. Have you made this pie before? Maybe you should send me the recipe.