Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm the best at everything

My cousin James Paul taught me the word "megalomaniac"--someone obsessed with wealth, power, genius, or omnipotence. I wouldn't say I'm obsessed exactly, but in light of recent self-esteem issues, I do find myself looking for reasons to pat myself on the back. James also taught me a catchy song he made up that became a family favorite: "My name is __________. I'm the best at everything. I just can't explain this feeling of superiority that I feel whenever I look at you...."

Okay, so I'm not the best at everything, but I've had this song stuck in my head all week and I would like to congratulate myself on sticking with my writing goal for one whole year!! This week marks a full year of Wednesday letters. Last year I opened this blog, but then decided to do it by email instead. I figure that after a year, those who have been reading will want to continue, and those who don't read might want me to stay out of their inbox!

I haven't been back to this blog since I wrote the first entry last summer and it surprised me to remember how strongly I felt that I needed to begin writing. I don't know why I felt so prompted, but I do know I have really enjoyed writing over this past year. The journaling, remembering, noticing, the response from others, even having a deadline--these things have all made me love and look forward to writing these letters each week.

I'm not published and I may never be, but I finally feel like I can say I'm a writer. I write. Every week.

Flori

2 comments:

James said...

I *am* the best at everything. :)

-James

Joseph said...

Carrie's been recently printing her blog posts out as books. It is a lot of fun to look back on what we did and read her feelings throughout the year.

Keep writing, you'll be glad you did it. For the record "I am the best at everything" may be the only song I can play memorized on the piano.