Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Charlotte's Web

We've got a new pet spider. We've identified it as a black and yellow argiope (garden orb spider) and she has proved to be a fascinating friend in these last lazy days of summer. We know she's a lady spider because of her size (2 inches long!).

The web is situated between two shrubs, a mere 3 feet from the front window, so we've been able to watch the spider close-up from the comfort and safety of air-conditioning behind glass. Orb spiders frequently tear down and rebuild their webs, so yesterday we watched with great interest off and on for an hour while she spun her web. I've never actually watched a spider make a web and it was the most interesting thing ever. Rob says he's seen it lots of times--something about growing up as a boy and that's just part of it, I guess. It was a first for our girls too and we were all inspired by the work and talent of our spider. Maddie has even seen her trap and wrap a hornet that flew into the web. (She's harmless to humans, by the way.)

Also known as "writing spiders", this variety finishes its web with a white zig zag pattern made of thick, banded silk. We watched the spider go around and around her web, waiting for her to make the zig zag. We almost missed it during our breakfast break, but got back just in time to see it created and it was really amazing! It made me think of a quote from Elder M. Russell Ballard from this month's "Friend" magazine:

"[An] experience [with roses] led me to consider the myriad forms of plant and animal life that thrive in astounding balance upon the earth. My esteem for our little roses took on an element of wonder and reverence. I pondered the power of the creative genius who lovingly provided such marvels for his children. I thought then how important it is for every human soul to see and appreciate the glory and grandeur of God in everything about us."

We see the glory and grandeur in this creature we've been watching. Even Bea runs to check on her each morning. I don't know if I'll ever look at spiders the same way again.


P.S. I discovered this in my research today: "Charlotte gives her full name as "Charlotte A. Cavatica", revealing her as a barn spider, an orb-weaver with the scientific name Araneus cavaticus."

**photo from http://frank.itlab.us/zoo/

4 comments:

Joseph said...

My neighbor found a tarantula in his garage the other day. The kids were pretty interested in looking at it for a minute... Until it gave a sudeen jump across the bucket and we all had to go home and change our pants.

Mariposa said...

ahahahahahaha!!!!!! joe---i have to change my pants now, too, from laughing at your comment!! did everyone give out a deathly shrill scream? just thinking about it makes me laugh even more!!

Krista said...

haha ha...joseph...
Flori, you should be impressed that I continued reading your post with a huge spider pic on top. I found it fascinating. These creatures have amazing talent albeit...I'm still spooked of them. I love that you watch your friendly spider daily too.

klchristensen said...

Dear Flori
The spider is amazing and I loved how you researched it and even went to Charlotte's Web to find out if it could possibly be the same spider. Since we are talking creations we took SAM DAN and ANA to the ZOO in SLC today. It was very hot 102 about noon but we anticipated the hot day and went as soon as it opened at 9:00. When we got there a breeze was blowing down from the canyon and I had to thank Heavenly Father for canyons placed at just the right spots. It made the first part of the zoo pleasant. We saw a bird show that showed off the beauty of the owls, doves, hawks, eagles and parrots. They few above us. I was most impressed with the largest owl in the world the eagle owl. You could feel the wind as it few just 12 inches above your head. The doves were beautiful to because they were white and about 12 to 16 of them flying over head. They told us the most valuable bird is the chicken. Well that is my story about creations. Love Mom
PS tell the birthday boy hello and have him check out our blog