Friday, May 13, 2011

When Family Can't Be There

Last Saturday Rob and I ran our marathon. We set and trained for this goal as a couple, but I found myself needing lots of encouragement and reassurance from others. Our neighbors and dear friends, Shan and Brian Sullivan, drove over 2 hours just so they could stand at the finish line and cheer us on by name (and record our deed for posterity!) More than I would ask, even of a relative, Shan gave me a big hug as I came through and even kissed me on my oh, so sweaty forehead and told me how proud of me she was. No mother or sister could have done more. They quietly drifted off, leaving us to stretch and rehydrate, but it meant SO much to have them there.

As you can imagine, I REALLY wanted to sleep in on Sunday morning, but we got a call at 6:40 am that another neighbor and good friend, Kim, was in labor. She and Steve dropped their 2 kids off at 7am and we kept them most of the day. A relaxing Mother's Day turned a little busier, just when I wanted to spend all day curled up in my bed. Then I started thinking about all the friends that have been there for us in our hours of need, when family was far away and couldn't help. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I started to feel grateful that I could "be there" for my friend and somehow pass along the help and support that others have given me.

We have lived away from our families for 10 years now. We've shared baby births, hospital visits, carpooling, youth activities, miscarriages, marriage trouble and divorce, illness, Thanksgiving dinners, Easter egg hunts, weekend road trips and Christmas Eves with the families in our neighborhoods and wards in Indiana and North Carolina. All the things we would have shared with family have been shared with others who have become our family. I love these people so much and I'm so grateful they've stepped in to our lives.

6 comments:

Joseph said...

I'm sad I couldn't be there to give you a big sweaty hug. I'd probably be as sweaty as you, cause waiting around for someone to finish a race can be exhausting.

I'm proud of you. Maybe sometime I'll try one of those. Maybe.

Emily said...

I would have hugged you, too! You are (yet again) my hero. You did it! Both of you. What a schedling nightmare. How did you fit it in? Way to go, guys!

klchristensen said...

These our feelings had when we lived in Detroit. I will always the love the people that became our family when we were so far from home. Great experiences that can't come any other way. Love Mom

Seamly Things said...

I have to agree with Emily, you are my hero too. Not only for running a marathon but for everything else you have accomplished in live.

kim said...

Thank you, again, for being our "family" out here, even if it means having to get up early when you'd rather be sleeping!

And I'm another one who's so proud of you for that marathon. You have definitely inspired me to think that I may actually be able to do it someday, too.

Mary Anne said...

Not to distract from your marvelous accomplishment which makes me even more proud (and a bit in awe of) you, but when your email notice said "I love my peeps" being rather close to Easter I was fully expecting a different sort of peeps. This kind: http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/peeps-show-iv/2010/03/26/AFoDO7LD_gallery.html#photo=1