Wednesday, May 12, 2010

De-personalized

I've recently read several articles on "depersonalizing" your home before selling it--the object being to let potential buyers imagine their own belongings in your home. They are supposed to be able to focus on your home, not your possessions.

Although I've been working on this for several weeks, yesterday was the big day to remove final portraits from the wall, including my favorite pictures of the girls in the entryway.

It made me really sad and I felt emotional all day long. Obviously, the personal things are what make our house our home and packing these things away make it feel so, well, depersonalized. Even though it's still our home, I can feel the tide turning toward a time when it will no longer be ours.
Many of you have asked about our progress. We are meeting with a couple of different realtors tomorrow and hope to have our house listed within the next 7-10 days. We are all decluttered and are working on painting touch-ups and last minute cleaning. I'm wondering if anyone would even notice if we abandoned our recently acquired storage unit and everything in it. In some ways, this feels like a much simpler way to live (without all our stuff).

5 comments:

aakulahtu3(hos getah) said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carrie said...

I know what you mean about a personalized space--hanging pictures is always a task I do right away when we move somewhere new to make me feel more at home. I bet it's been hard to take them down and not be moving right away.

Oh the unused stuff debate...while cleaning our garage last weekend we finally found a bag filled with several sweatshirts I had stored away during renovation--and it felt like Christmas finding them! I was so excited--I guess I am pretty attached to things!

Krista said...

oh sad. I felt sad when you said you took down your fave pics of the girls. The ever changing pace of life. I hope you find a beautiful place to put those pics up again.

klchristensen said...

It sounds like you are coming together for the big move and selling the house. Selling the house first then the big move. We love you for all you do to help Rob and your girls. Good luck with the selling part of this process. We pray everyday for your and the person that will come along right at the right time to buy your home. Love Mom

kim said...

Wanna hang those pictures up in "your room" at my house? :)