Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oh No, You Can't Take That Away From Me...

I have thrown away an incredible amount of trash this week. There are heaping piles of stuff in our living room, all sorted and ready for our giant neighborhood yard sale this Saturday. My day consists of going from room to room and collecting items for the purge. Sometimes I have to dig deep, but most of it is obvious.

For years, we have harbored a largish collection of audio tapes that are locked away in cases and stashed behind the couch. A few nights ago, Rob and I agreed it was time to let them go. We rarely even open the cases. But when I finally got them out yesterday, I couldn't do it. I sorted and pruned and reduced from 3 cases to 2, but I couldn't throw our music out.


How can you throw part of your own soul away? How could you sell a piece of your personality to strangers? Here are just a few of the millions of memories linked to this box of cassette tapes:
  • saving my 7th grade babysitting money to buy "Yaz" and "Book of Love" at Spanky's Records & Tapes: my first music purchase ever.
  • Play. pause. rewind. play. pause: this is how we got the lyrics to our favorite songs--listening intently and writing them down. None of this internet search stuff.
  • the day Rob showed up at my dorm with his entire dual-recording stereo system loaded into a huge Jansport pack. We made our first (and only) mix tape. I still love it (and him).
  • making tapes for Rob while he was on his mission, and listening to his voice while he was so far away.
  • Being introduced to "The Clash" by my Uncle Bob and Aunt Andrea. British punk rock was a revelation to me.
  • going to a Depeche Mode concert (what were my parents thinking?!)
Oh yes, we're keeping these babies.

7 comments:

Joseph said...

I got Carrie to throw most of her tapes away but I think we still have one case with 10 or so. I still feel weird with 2 full cd towers, and haven't touched ours (other than moving) for years. What you need are some Alphaville mp3s. That will help you let go.

Carrie said...

My hubby begged me to purge my collection of tapes a while back. Why is it so hard? Those mix tapes though--they were serious blood sweat and tears! It was a true privilege when someone made one for you. I love all mine and you can't always find ALL the right songs to create a playlist and CD on the computer!

Those are some sweet tapes you still have. I say moving them this summer will be worth the effort :)

Joseph said...

oh, and I just thought of a good name for your woes: "Purgeatory". Just glad I beat Bob to that one :)

Carrie said...

My hubby and I posted a comment at the same time! We are so cute... (he wanted me to write that FYI. He is was cheesy that way ;)

agarlitz said...

Keep them. I did. I keep everything. I shouldn't but I do. I still have all of my old notes from everybody. I would be so embarrassed to have my children reading them. Yet when I die that's what they are going to do. They will read them and listen to my cassette tapes. Huh.... Maybe I should get rid of them.

Tell Rob congrats on the job and good luck on the move. You will do good where ever you are. I have no doubt.

Mary Anne said...

A friend of mine here says the time to purge is AFTER the move. You're not sane in the moving process. Haven't we all found ourselves saying, "Yeah we used to have _____, but when we moved to __________we didn't want to haul it but I sure wish we had that now."

Moving is the time to orgainize and be rid of obvious trash, but other than that I say keep it.

klchristensen said...

How did your yard sell go? Did you sell much or have to haul things away to the Good Will by the car loads. I hope everything went to a good home and that you made some money for the next move. I hope the weather was good for the sell. Just a note about it would be good maybe even a Wed. letter would be good. How are the girls. I think of them often. Love Mom