Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The three gifts of Christmas

Rob and I went on a short date to Target last night to grab the last few Christmas items. We ran into a neighbor there and I asked if he was just finishing or just starting his shopping. I expressed condolences when he said he was just starting. But then he told us their family tradition: each year they give their children 3 presents--1 gift the child wants, 1 gift the parents want to give, and 1 gift in their name to a charity of the child's choice.

After our short conversation with him, I felt completely liberated by this new plan. Our shopping is already done for this year, but we are totally going to implement this for next year. I love the simplicity of it and the "pay it forward" idea of letting the kids choose a worthy cause.

I shared this idea with my neighbor and she had heard of these three gifts: something to wear, something to read, and something to play with. Also a sweet and simple list.

Tonight we made reindeer cookies and did a family service project. The house is vacuumed and we've got a cheesecake in the oven for a fancy Christmas Eve dinner with friends tomorrow night.

The only real bummer right now is that I haven't really wrapped any presents. Looks like a couple of late nights for me. I feel better knowing it will be different next year.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Those kind of plans really are the best. Last year we decided on this little phrase for our kids: "Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read." It has made everything more simple for us. And the YW pres. in our ward does 3 gifts for each child to represent the gifts of the wise men: Gold=G for garment or something to wear, Frankincense=F for something fun and Myrrh=M for something for the mind.

But I am loving the idea of a gift for someone else in the child's name--such a selfless and loving thing.

Merry Christmas!! Can you believe it all begins tomorrow?

Melinda said...

We let our kids ask for one "Santa" item and that is it. We talk about there needing to be enough for other children to receive gifts as well. They really put thought into their present knowing that they can only choose one.

The rest of their gifts have just been tradtions I have kept with each year. The boys usually get a small lego set, pjs, a board game, a movie, and a book. Once those items are selected I am pretty much done.

I like the idea of just 3-4 total gifts...do you then omit the stocking?